My consulting work
I work with companies, financial institutions, NGOs and other consultants to plan complex investments and solve problems related to existing investments:
- Plan, participate in and review risk, resettlement, livelihood restoration and and impact assessment studies
- Advise on human rights, social, environmental and governance policies and management systems
- Train and mentor up-and-coming social specialists
- Connect organisations, ideas and people
- Research and write – publications on extractive industries, human rights and responsibility to protect
- Advising one of the leading European development banks on implementation of the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights – policy, due diligence, reporting.
- News Flash – the Joint Fact Finding to resolve disputes between herders and Oyu Tolgoi mine has lead to a successful conclusion with agreements between the parties based on findings of the research I lead through 2016.
- Advising a climate and landscape investment fund on ESG management and leading due diligence on specific projects related to- REDD+, sustainable agriculture and fisheries in Latin America, Asia and Africa.
- Helping a cement and lime project in Zambia set up its social and environmental health and safety performance management system, complete livelihood restoration and monitor progress.
- Advising on resettlement and social impact management for a hydropower project in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Collaborating with a group of researchers and civil society organizations on considering corporate human rights responsibilities in circumstances of mass atrocities – what does Responsibility to Protect (R2P) mean in a corporate context?
- Starting to work on proposals to make environmental and social impact assessment less expensive and more useful.
“Jill Shankleman has provided me with support on a variety of themes and locations for more than a decade. Her advice and documentation have combined expert knowledge of the topics, pragmatism and a sound understanding of the energy industry.”
Social Responsibility Director
BP International Ltd